Welcome to Kevin Daniel's Page!
Boo!!! This is my 2017 state id photo AKA
"angry old white man"
Get off my lawn!
Hobbies / Favorite Sites
My only source of income at present
is a modest pension with no COLA.
I was against pension reform in the state of Illinois until
I read this.
After experiencing the unprofessional and unethical behavior of
the local Fire Department I think it is obvious that these people
are over compensated and living off of the
backs of the citizens of the city and county now and after
retirement. Their compensation and benefits are severely out of
proportion to the contribution they make to the community. They
are no doubt representative of their peers across the state. Read
the information at the link above and you will agree. I now
support a reasonable tax on existing pensions which would also
impact me. PENSION REFORM NOW!!!!
- U.S. Army veteran. (Enlisted
in the Regular Army at age 17 & served for four years
plus one year Active Reserves)
- Education stuff
- M.S., Library and
Information Science, University
of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL.
- Other schools attended: Illinois Central Community
College, Seattle Central College and University of
- It looks as though I LIKE to go to school, but I've
just taken continual professional and personal improvement
seriously as a way to improve my life and career. I've
retrained myself three times to adjust to changing
economic factors, to maintain my economic viability and to
be able to dine on the better brands of cat and dog food
in retirement. My roots are blue collar and I worked my
way through every day of school without incurring
Briggs INTJ, link1,
case you wonder why I am the way I am (Its not my fault!)
- Genealogy stuff
- Project manager for the Hostetter DNA Project.
to my book, Thomas Daniel of Colonial Virginia and Eight
Generations of His Descendants
- Don't look for me on social media, I dropped
FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc., when I retired. My friends know where to find me!
Return to Top of Page
- My 136 year old Victorian house.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation ex-instructor.
- Genealogy, author of several books, public speaker for
DNA research and genealogy.
- Exercise, yoga, running, jumping rope, walking,
bicycling, hiking, snowshoeing,
- I have an appreciation for boxing and other martial
arts. I am just an observer these days but studied several
styles over a couple of decades. This study was my
introduction to the concept of seeking balance in life,
which has had a major impact on my life in the most positive
way. Styles formally studied:
- Isshinryu Karate, while living in Okinawa.
- Wing Chun Kung Fu, while living in Thailand.
- Kenpo Karate, while living in Seattle.
- Combat rifle and pistol shooting.
- I have been practicing Hatha and Kundalini Yoga for
over a decade, now. I like to mix things up and am doing
Kripalu Vinyasa Flow yoga, Kundalini yoga, and an
occasional session of power yoga. I enjoy exploring the
various styles of yoga. Each has it's own special benefit. I
- Live theater, especially Shakespeare in out of period
settings and Gilbert & Sullivan, but also any well done
- Jim Jarmousch movies are pretty cool. I like well made
movies of any genre.
- Early acoustic Blues, Jazz, Swing, and Big Band music.
Some of my favorite artists are Mississippi John Hurt, Son
House, Billie Holiday, Lead Belly, Bessie Smith, Johnny
Shines, Charlie Patton, Memphis Minnie, Big Bill Broonzy,
Charlie Akers and more. Also like Django Reinhardt, Fats
Waller, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, early Louis
- I enjoy classical music, especially piano and violin
concertos and sonatas. Glenn Gould is on my play list.
Pearl has a great set of Artur Schnabel performing
Beethoven's sonatas, and also Ignaz Friedman's performances.
Pretty cool. I have collections of Vladomir Horowitz's
performances and Wanda Landowska's harpsichord and piano
performances. Always in style! Sibelius, Bach, Tchaikovsky,
and Chopin are getting more play time in my home lately. I
spend a modest amount of time keeping up on current music in
several genres and anything from any period that piques my
- I have a large factory art glass collection:
Westmoreland, Fenton, Kemple, Imperial, Viking, Pilgrim,
etc., and also some local art glass studios.
- I am a recovering thrift shop and Netflix addict.
- Art collecting and art history research. I once
corresponded with an Australian collector who described
himself as an "art tragic" due to his need to collect.
Guilty. I can stop collecting any time I want to, though....
- My art collection web site.
- My lost artists blog.
Return to Top of Page
Return to Top of Page