Welcome to Kevin Daniel's Page!
Boo!!! This is my 2017 state id photo AKA
"angry old white man"
Get off my lawn!
Hobbies / Favorite Sites
- U.S. Army veteran. (Enlisted
in the Regular Army at age 17 & served for four years of
active duty plus one year of Active Reserves)
- Education stuff
- M.S., Library and
Information Science, University
of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL. I primarily
focused on classification and catloguing of fine art,
especially the use of CDWA
- Other schools attended: Illinois
Central College, Seattle Central
College and University
of Maryland Global Campus.
- It may look as though I LIKE to go to school, but
I've just taken continual professional and personal
improvement seriously as a way to improve my life and
career (when I had one!). I retrained myself three times
to adjust to changing economic factors, to maintain my
economic viability and to be able to dine on the better
brands of cat and dog food in retirement. My roots are
blue collar and I worked my way through every single
day of school without incurring any debt. Every male
member of my family, myself included, has been
a member of a labor union (Teamsters, UAW, Boilermakers,
IBEW, Steelworkers) and I still will not cross a picket
line, but to get where I wanted to go, I needed college
Briggs INTJ, link1,
case you wonder why I am the way I am (Its not my fault!)
- Genealogy stuff
- Project manager for the Hostetter DNA Project.
to my book, Thomas Daniel of Colonial Virginia and Eight
Generations of His Descendants
- My known Revolutionary War ancestors
- I retired several years ago and worked in
various technical fields for most of my "career" (biomedical and aerospace
electronics R&D, computer hardware and software, etc.),
spending the last 20ish years of my work life doing
Unix/Linux server level administration and security,
information security and information security risk
management for a Fortune 50 company.
- Don't look for me on social media, I dropped
FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc., when I retired. My friends know where to find me!
Return to Top of Page
- My 138 year old Victorian house.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation ex-instructor.
- Genealogy, author of several books, public speaker on
topics including DNA research, publishing and general
genealogy topics. If interested in engaging my services,
contact me at the email link above.
- Exercise, yoga, running, jumping rope, walking,
bicycling, hiking, snowshoeing,
- I have an appreciation for boxing and other martial
arts. I am just an observer these days but studied several
styles over a couple of decades. This study was my
introduction to the concept of seeking balance in life,
which has had a major impact on my life in the most positive
way. Styles formally studied:
- I have been practicing Hatha
Yoga for around two decades. I like to mix things up
and am currently practicing Hatha, Kripalu
Vinyasa Flow yoga, Kundalini yoga and an occasional
session of power yoga. I enjoy exploring the various styles
of yoga. Each has it's own special benefit. I practice
- Live theater, especially Shakespeare in out of period
settings and Gilbert & Sullivan, but also any well done
- Jim Jarmousch movies are pretty cool. I like well made
movies of any genre.
- Early acoustic Blues, Jazz, Swing, and Big Band music.
Some of my favorite artists are Mississippi John Hurt, Son
House, Billie Holiday, Lead Belly, Bessie Smith, Johnny
Shines, Charlie Patton, Memphis Minnie, Big Bill Broonzy,
Charlie Akers and more. Also like Django Reinhardt, Fats
Waller, Artie Shaw, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller, early
- I enjoy classical music, especially piano and violin
concertos and sonatas. Glenn Gould is on my play list.
Pearl has a great set of Artur Schnabel performing
Beethoven's sonatas, and also Ignaz Friedman's performances.
Pretty cool. I have collections of Vladomir Horowitz's
performances and Wanda Landowska's harpsichord and piano
performances. Always in style! Sibelius, Bach, Tchaikovsky,
and Chopin are getting more play time in my home lately.
- I spend a modest amount of time keeping up on current
music in several genres and anything from any period that
piques my interest.
- I have a large factory art glass collection:
Westmoreland, Fenton, Kemple, Imperial, Viking, Pilgrim,
Skrdlovice, Chribska, Beranek, Iwata, Kurata, Hineri,
Narumi, etc., and also some studio art glass.
- I am a recovering thrift shop and Netflix addict.
- Art collecting and art history research. I once
corresponded with an Australian collector who described
himself as an "art tragic" due to his need to collect.
Guilty. I can stop collecting any time I want to, though.
- My art collection web site.
- My lost artists blog.
- My Japanese Art Glass site.
Return to Top of Page
Return to Top of Page